October of 2014, Jerald Goldsmith, 52 years old and a mother of seven, was found beaten to death in Masten Park. No arrest has been made but it was believed that she was a victim of domestic violence. Because of this tragedy, a lot of steps are being taken to improve the neighborhood; adding light fixtures, maintaining the cleanliness of the park, and the Ray of Light Mural. The Buffalo Arts Studio, Jerald Goldsmith’s family, members of the community, and different organizations are working together to create this mural in Masten Park. They hope that it will inspire the public and act as a remembrance for victims of domestic violence.
Buffalo artist, Augustina Droze was selected to paint the mural. Her proposed design uses different colors and images to symbolize love, peace, and non-violence. In April, it was unanimously approved by the Buffalo Arts Commission.
The predicted time of the unveiling would be around this October, during the start of Domestic Violence Awareness month. If you are interested in more information or want to contribute to the project, you can visit Buffalo Arts Studio or their Facebook page.
Even if you aren’t directly affected, it is important to be aware about your surroundings and what’s going on with the rest of the world. Here are some national statistics we took from NCADV (National Coalition Against Domestic Violence).
- On average, about 20 people per minute are physically abused by their partner.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men been victims of physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.
- On a typical day, more than 20,000 phone calls are made to domestic violence hotlines.
- 15% of violent crimes are intimate partner violence.
- Studies show a correlation between domestic violence, depression, and suicidal behavior.